Good Gardening Reads

myselfandi(8a)February 4, 2010

Every January, I have this all-consuming desire to read and re-read gardening books. Thought I would share the ones I have just completed, and I am interested to know if anyone else has read these lately. I thoroughly enjoy all three and read them over and over again every year: Mrs. Whaley and Her Charleston Garden, by Emily Whaley; In a Southern Garden, by Carol Bishop Hipps; and, of course, the classic, The American Woman's Garden by Rosemary Verey. I can't wait for spring!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jpwill(z7ALA)

I'm not familiar with The American Woman's Garden, but I really enjoy In A Southern Garden. It is a classic, informational and entertaining. Very practical advice from a down-to earth (pardon the pun) gardener.

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 11:41AM
myselfandi(8a)

I bought American Women's Garden on Amazon for almost nothing, and it was even the hardback version. I would highly recommend it. It is an old book, published in 1983, but it highlights in detail several of the best and historic gardens in the United States. It was recommended by several other gardening books that I have read over the years. Emily Whaley's garden is highlighted in the book, and ironically, I read her book, Mrs. Whaley's Charleston Garden, at least once a year. It is very well-written and a joy to read. It seems we share the same opinion of In a Southern Garden. It is so witty and full of good information on plants. Since she breaks it down month by month, I like to review it sometimes monthly but usually read it all the way through at least once a year.

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 8:28AM
rayama(7b Birmingham, Al)

I loved "In Seach of Old Roses."

Also, not exactly a gardening book, but MC Beaton's "Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener." It's the 3rd in a mystery series. Agatha is decidedly NOT a gardener, but her village is having a gardening contest, so after she kills all of her seedlings by planting them early, she hires a landscaping company to plant her garden at 3 am the night before the contest. It's hysterical.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Lisianthus from seed
Hi has any one grown Lisianthus from seed,I have some...
lifeflower123
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™