African Iris

wannab_gardenerFebruary 22, 2014

Our African iris got hit hard by the cold weather! Hope someone more experienced can tell me what to do now! Should they be cut back or left as is? They have green near center but the rest of the leaves look bad! Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhighlandhome

wannab,

What zone are you in? I'm in 8a, and have had zero luck with African irises. Most of the ones I was given one year didn't come back the following Spring; those that did never bloomed and died out the following Winter.

I'm guessing they would do much better grown in containers and brought indoors during cold weather. It has been my experience that plants that are evergreen in nature run out of "energy" when they are forced to replace their foliage and bloom in the same season. Again, just my experience ;-)

I hope you find a solution so you can enjoy these beautiful flowers. If so, let me know!

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 9:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wannab_gardener

We are on the Gulf Coast. I I cut them way back and see green leaves springing up now. Thank you for your response. I don't expect much bloom from them this YEAR BUT AM HAPPY THE MADE IT THRU THIS HARSH WINTER.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
trade list
where are profiles and trade lists ? wayne
mws366
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™