Question.........Blue Spruce & Golden Rain Tree

choccolocco(7a)February 8, 2011

Will a Blue Spruce do well in zone 7a if planted in a well drained area and kept watered?

Do you know a source for a six to eight foot Blue Spruce tree and a Golden Rain tree?

I live within driving distance to the Birmingham area and also pass through Montgomery occasionaly.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_trussville(z7b AL)

Hanna's Garden Shop on Hwy 280 just south of B'ham has had blue spruce in the past; I assume they still do. Don't know if they have the Golden Rain, though.

click on link for their contact info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanna's Garden Shop

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 2:25PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

There are several Blue Spruce in the Huntsville area and I'd really consider this a border line climate. Can't imagine that they would be very happy farther south.

Golden Rain Tree should do perfectly fine. They are quite tolerant of many kinds of soils and climates.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 9:47PM
lsmcw(7b-AL)

A caution about Golden Rain Tree. They seed EVERYWHERE.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 8:29AM
terramadre

I agree with the above statement. Pulling or digging dozens of seedlings every year is no fun. We had ours removed.

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 4:23PM
catbird(z7 AL)

By all means do remember the seeding habits of the raintree. There was one at the place where I worked for many years and it was beautiful. The first year I was there I brought home a seedling and planted it in my yard. The next year, after I realized how many seedlings were popping up everywhere at work, I pulled mine up and threw it on the compost pile. If you're into weeding, it is a lovely small tree, but buyer beware.

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 11:06AM
jim_in_huntsville_al(7a)

Take this for what it's worth: Years ago we lived in Nashville, TN and one Christmas I decided to buy a B&B blue spruce instead of a cut tree so I could plant it after the holidays. We had a contemporary house with a 30' ceiling & clerestory windows in the great room and frankly, it was usually pretty chilly and drafty in there, especially where we set it opposite of the wood stove. Knowing it would go through a thermal shock when we took it outside and transplanted it, we made sure that it was hydrated and then I set it in an unheated storage closet on the outside wall of the house for two days to let it better aclimate to the winter before I put it in the ground. This was before the internet age but I did go to the nursery which sold it to me for their instructions and followed them closely. It looked pretty good until the heat of the summer but eventually died even though I watered it 2-3 times a week. I have been afraid to try another blue spruce since then, although I've seen a few that seem to be doing OK here in Huntsville, especially up on Monte Sano mtn.

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Yoshino Cherry Trees
We are hoping to plant 4-5 Yoshino Cherry Trees in...
Mimi_Carol
Sponsored Products
Mondo Clip Wall Sconce
Lightology
Whitehaus GRC2519 Rectangular Protection Grid for 25'' x 19'' Copper Sinks
$129.00 | Blue Bath
Nourison Hand-tufted Julian Floral Purple Rug (3'6 x 5'6)
Overstock.com
Fitzgerald Loveseat - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
Elizabeth Aubusson Rug 2' x 3' - IVORY/LIGHT BLUE
$99.00 | Horchow
Madison Park Farrah 6-Piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
Butler Hors D'Oeuvres Vivienne Serving Tray In Blue Bone Inlay
Beyond Stores
FJ Paperweight Pendant
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for: