Help with Mme pierre Oger

nprfanOctober 29, 2011

This is the third year I've had her, and she has only bloomed once with any enthusiasm, and those were lovely. Lots of big, tall canes now, none to very few flowers. My questions are: 1. what is the blooming habit of this rose, once a year, or is there a repeat? 2. When should I prune? Anything else about care and feeding would be helpful, since I don't really know much about it.

Also, does anyone pleeeease have a good remedy for thrips and botyritis, i am reduced to only looking at my roses from afar, 'cos up close they are ugly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

The answers to most of your questions will depend on your climate zone/humid or dry?, etc. If you don't know your zone just tell us the general geographic area where you are gardening. Turns out that roses act differently in different climates - really.

Jackie

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 4:33PM
landperson

I moved mine last year from a north east exposure to a west exposure and she is going gangbusters. Never looked quite so sweet before !!!

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 8:53PM
beaniebeagle

try not to prune. my bourbons seem to pout after pruning and i have seen more blooms when i skip pruning

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 11:30PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

REALLY. I know this is a glorious rose -- SOMEWHERE. NOT where I garden. So, you are where??

Jeri
Coastal Ventura Co, SoCal

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 8:26PM
Krista_5NY

This rose is a lovely one for me, I have three of them. It's slow to mature, but worth the wait.

I prune in spring time, but it can bloom well on twiggy wood, so I'm careful to not remove all twiggy growth.

I prune back long canes in spring time, not late summer or autumn.

I deadhead after blooming, to encourage repeat bloom. It does repeat bloom, but can rest a bit in the warmest time of summer.

It appreciates plenty of sun, and seems to thrive on organic fertilizers.

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 8:48PM
mudbird(10 soCA)

I had a grafted Mme PO and it was one of the best bloomers in my zone 10 garden (coastal Los Angeles). The first 3 years it rusted badly, but I kept it for the exquisite flowers. About year 4, it strengthened and only rusted during seasonal changes. I let mine grow out into an arching shape - it made a slender graceful shrub with arching 7-9ft canes in its prime. There's regular dieback, so I pruned back the dead wood eventually removing the cane when it really started to fail. My grafted shrub lost its vigor after about 9 years, and I started an ownroot one this summer. It's an exquisite rose for both coloring - the flowers blush beautifully - and scent. One of my favorites. My Bourbons must be planted in the sunniest spots to thrive here in the coastal belt, it's just a little too cloudy and cool for most of them.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
What roses are you adding in 2015?
I have an order coming from Greenmantle Nursery soon...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Duchesse de Brabant: Evaluation and Photos
Accidentally put this on the "Roses Forum"...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
Alana8aSC
close cousins of Belinda's Dream?
BD looks like a great landcaping/cutting rose, but...
Adam Harbeck
Roses good for bees
Hi friends, I'm trying to add more plants that provide...
mas_loves_roses1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™