Xanthosoma Lime Zinger

lsmcw(7b-AL)February 4, 2008

Anyone growing this? It is calling my name and my credit card is burning a hole in my pocket. Description says it likes water so thought I would put it in a pot on a shelf in the pond. Any thoughts? Are you listening Terry and Nelson? LInda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhighlandhome

Hmmmm...this is the one 'ear' I have fought against purchasing - partially because of it's high price, and partly because I don't have any more space in my basement to overwinter something that may or may not be hardy in my area. If anyone has a clump that needs thinning I'm tossing my name into the hat here ;-)

While some websites state that it can grow submerged, others refer to it as strictly a terrestrial. Most xanthosomas I have grown can handle either during the heat of summer - but none have survived the combination of "wet feet" and freezing temperatures.

In the long run, it's probably cheaper to give in to your urges and purchase this thing before you ruin another pair of pants! Treat it as half-hardy and bring your pot inside for the winter.

Nelson ;-)

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 9:13PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Oh you naughty, naughty girl. Put your credit card away and wait for your economic stimilus rebate check (Bush Bucks or Pelosi Pesos)to come in. Don't contribute to the "credit crisis" but spend you check. I've tried Lime Zinger and I can't get it to live in dry soil or wet. I bought one and have been given one and both languished for a season or so but then they perish, poor things. I'm not complaining, mind you. I have lots of EEs which are beautiful. I'll keep trying and one day Lime Zinger will make it.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 11:16PM
mokey(7)

has anyone filed taxes yet. i want my Bush check.

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 7:06AM
lsmcw(7b-AL)

Thanks for the words, guys. It is iffy but it is also supremely yummy looking and I have a weakness for lime plants. I may give into temptation. Will let you know the outcome and it it thrives, I'll share. Linda

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 8:31AM
lbrazil(z7MS)

Linda, I have you a lime zinger when the weather warms enough to ship. I have problems overwatering but the main problem is spider mites in the greenhouse. Remind me the latter part of March or first part of April and I will send you a plant. Larry

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 8:01AM
More Discussions
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
Am I banned?
Twice lately I have posted a question and when checking...
topsiebeezelbub
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™