5 - year - old seeds sprouting!

madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)February 18, 2009

I forget who was giving away the 2004 seeds at the Fall Swap, but I wanted to say "Thanks!" - the pansy seeds are coming up as if they were brand new!

I winter-sowed a number of things a month ago; besides the pansies, I have sprouts on Centranthus ruber and Rudbeckia hirta "Marmalade". Some blanketflower seeds may also be sprouting, I was not sure.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Wow! I take it you got the seeds in a swap recently? Or did you have them all this time?

I have some that are about 2 years old, going on 3, so I will try putting them out this year. I was about to just toss them, afraid they'd had too much heat to be viable.
But it is worth a try.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 9:01AM
illiana(7)

That is awesome. I still have not really done anything with the rest of them lol they are still sitting in the same boxes they were when I brought them to the swap. I'm glad to hear that they are finally getting to spread their leaves. ;-)

Chris

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 6:22PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

My husband is more into Winter Sowing than I am. I am one who pokes seeds into the soil and waits to see what happens. I suppose that is why I love nasturtiums so much.

When hubby puts out his little plants, they line up straight as little soldiers, six inches or so apart, not daring to grow astray. It says a lot about our different personalities, because my things planted nearby are random and uncoordinated, I like to say reckless abandon, he likes to say undisciplined. I've caught him straightening them up a little by edging them with the lawn mower.

Sorry I go astray here.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Want long leaf pine
Does anyone know of a source for long leaf pine seeds...
josephene_gw
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™