To Peach, or Not To Peach, That is the Question

Swiss_Chard_FanaticFebruary 22, 2014

I refuse to spray. It's gotta be organic or I won't eat it. That being said, I live in South Alabama. Is the idea of growing peaches organically an utterly laughable prospect only conjured up by the most ignorant and idealistic of all newbie gardeners?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

There are organic sprays available, for example liquid lime sulfer (calcium polysulfide) and spinosad. Bear in mind just because it says "organic" doesn't mean it's safe or environmentally responsible. Spinosad is deadly to bees and pollinators and sulfer is deadly to other beneficial insects like parasitoids. Horticultural oil is a petroleum product -- you old spray it in the winter so it's not a threat to bees, but it does kill any beneficials overwintering in the tree as well.

AFAIK, there is no effective organic alternative for streptomycin sulfate to treat fireblight.

Organic or not, you will have to develop and maintain a rigorous spray program. Going to the fruit classes at Petals From the Past can be a big help here. Dr. Arlie Powell knows pretty much everything there is to know about fruit growing in our region.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™