Tin Cans In The Garden

heaven4441February 20, 2009

I'm always on the look-out for containers to plant in; can someone tell me if it is ok to use tin cans for this purpose? Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

First impression: Confused. Do you mean will using metal can be harmful to plants? The answer is no. Do you mean are cans useful to start seeds or cuttings? The answer is yes. Do you mean if you use cans will your yard look like the Beverly Hillbillies live there? That is your choice to make!

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 8:01PM
heaven4441

Sorry, guess I didn't make the question clear enough. What I meant was, if I plant in the cans, will the metal that the cans are made of harm the plant that is planted inside? I have been saving cans to use to start seedlings in, and have been scared to use them, because I didn't know if the metal would somehow harm the seedlings when they started to grow, especially if they started to rust. It seemed like such a good idea though, some of those cans are just the right size for certain things that I intended to put in them. Thanks for your help.
(P.S. There's no hope for my yard; I am married to a sheetrock hanger, and my yard has looked liked the Beverly Hillbillies for 30 years; I'm laughing hysterically over here! Too funny!)

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 10:28PM
lsmcw(7b-AL)

The cans should be fine as long as you punch drainage holes in the bottom. Also, consider how you will get the plants out when they outgrow the can. Paper cups, yogurt containers, etc, can be torn or cut down the side to minimize damage to the seedlings. Otherwise, have at it.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
Another update on madabouteu - by madabouteu
For those who might wonder - I am still doing OK. Legs...
madabouteu
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™