Alocasia 'Hilo Beauy' & 'Dahlia' Cold Hardiness ???

bulzi(8a)February 21, 2013

Purchased 'Hilo Beauty' from box store today..... it is one of those plants that you look twice at and then read about. Have shade caused from house,so I figured that may do.
Care and Maintenance states cold hardiness @10'-0' F.
When I go on line I get mix hardiness information. Nothing below 45'....keep in side over winter in pot etc. Does anyone in Zone 7-7b have hands on with the how to or not to do for this beautiful plant.
I dig the Dahlias and store covered on porch ( hope it works). Left a few out to test on coming back without storing. Would like to leave and maybe cover with mulch , paper, cardboard...?? Suggestions..?.. On what would be best.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catbird(z7 AL)

I love dahlias, but have never tried to grow them. From what I understand they aren't hardy here (north Alabama) and I don't want to have to dig and store and replant them.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 9:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulzi(8a)

catbird, thanks....input can really help everyone receive better,.,.,.,. MONEY SAVING, 'time' saving , s-p-a-c-e saving ideas.

People with hands on knowledge of their triumphs and failures can be most beneficial with their snippets.

I do not want to dig and store.....but the giving of Dahlia bouquets during the summer to elderly , I will probably keep digging and storing as long as I am able.

If you come across away to not dig...and keep the tubers reasonably dry over winter in the ground --PLEASE-- come back and post.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™