Large Quantities of Manure?

contraryfarmerFebruary 8, 2006

Ok guys. First off, I am Marcus. I am new to Gardenweb, but have really enjoyed reading the posts. I just bought a house in NorthEast Alabama, in a little town called ragland. The home is in need of serious landscaping and revitalization. And I need to get my vegetable garden set up and ready for spring, as well as getting some compost piles burning, my question is Does anyone have any suggestions general or specific for getting large quantities of manure, horse, cow, i'd even go for chicken? I have emailed the local dairy, to no avail so far, as well as a couple of horse boarders, and the zoo is too far away. Any advice. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pfllh(8Al)

Do you have a local co-op? They would be familiar with the people in the area and might be able to help.
Lynn

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 12:21AM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Welcome Marcus...

Um, in Northeast AL - there are LOTS of chicken farmers up there....check into that....also check into paper mills....cotton gins....etc....

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 7:50AM
rangercva61(Zone 7)

I can provide a source I use in Ohatchee

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 6:47PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Go to the dairy and ask. They work 7 days a week so you should be able to talk to someone almost any time. Milking is usually early morning or late afternoon. Also, check with feed stores, Goldkist chicken plants and co-op stores. They usually know when someone has just sent chickens to slaughter and will be cleaning out the chicken house. Finally, you would think a good supply of manure could be found in Montgomery since the Legislature is in session.

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Spring swap, from Todd
I can't figure out how to access my trade list (don't...
tedevore
Pruning pampas grass
Is it too late to cut back my pampas grass? I live...
jen6747
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
trade list
where are profiles and trade lists ? wayne
mws366
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™