Pike's Nursery to be Auctioned

georgia-roseFebruary 22, 2008

Announcement on local news in Atlanta that Pike's Nursery will be sold to the highest bidder. Is owned by a conglomerate in Dallas, TX area. Guess the Exceptional Drought conditions in all of the areas in which they operate created too much red ink for them. Many of their Alabama grower sources were also affected, especially one in Baldwin County, who has had to dump loads of plants from cancelled orders.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhighlandhome

Wow!!

One season of drought and they're selling out? That doesn't say much about pride in the "family business". The Plant Odyssey and Hanna's Garden Shop, along with other locally-owned & -operated nurseries, have dealt with much more adversity, sucked it up and survived.

Oh yeah, this is America, where - too often - profit comes before pride. Sad, but our "home town" nurseries will benefit from their "take the money and run" attitude. They won't be sorely missed.

Nelson

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 12:06AM
loveofmylife680(z7)

Oh Nelson you are too much just kidding. They had some neat stuff but just to high for me. I'll stick with Hazel's.
Jill

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 12:08AM
tsmith2579(7B)

I went by the Hwy 280 store Friday (Feb 22) afternoon and bought a few bulbs with one of my gift cards. I have been wondering about them. They have been down to a half dozen fish for months and the covered area outside has been bare. They do have a few new azaleas, a few new very nice sweet anise bushes and new stock in the tropical area. Since they haven't been restocking I suspected they weren't coming out of bankruptcy. Now I know I had better use my cards before they go under and leave town. Jill, you are right about them being a little high priced but I don't think they are nay higher price than Hanna's Garden Shop. I go by Hanna's just to get ideas.

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 8:15PM
beckibob(7b AL)

Never heard of Hazel's. Where is it? What's it like?

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
Did you know - GW now part of Houzz?
I guess word has gotten around by now, but I haven't...
outsideplaying_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™