climbing hydrangeas in mobile, alabama

bayaniMarch 15, 2007

Good Morning everyone...I saw a great looking climbing plant with white flowers encompassing most of the northeast wall of my neighbor's house...i googled around and i think it is a climbing hydrangea... Do you have any experience with growing this plant in our area...thanks and happy gardening y'all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terramadre

It seems to be doing well in your neighbors' garden ;-)

I grow the native climbing H., Decumaria barbara; however, there's also H. petiolaris.

You may want to ask your neighbors if they know which species they are growing and, while you are at it, ask for a start.

Decumaria barbara

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 2:10PM
bayani

I appreciate your advice. The climbing vinelike plant growing at my neighbor's is not the climbing hydrangea. It was on sale at Springhill Nursery so I went I ahead and bought a lot. I will experiment and plant them on the west facing walls of my house and also next to the trees. I will let you know how they do. Thank you for the beautiful pictures. :-)

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 7:59AM
terramadre

Being nosy...what did you order?

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 7:34PM
bayani

Sorry for the slow response. I got Climbing Hydrangeas from Springhill Nursery. They are very small. Some have leaves that have dropped but I still planted them anyway. I also got Montenegro and American Hope Lilies. I will submit pictures to our forum if they do well

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 6:28AM
tweetypye(z8/sc AL)

I have had a climbing hydrangea growing on one of my trees for a couple of years and it's looking really good this year. How long does it usually take before it begins to flower?
Jan

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 9:00PM
bayani

It's been two months since i planted the climbing hydrangeas. They were about seven inches in height. Most have lost their leaves but two of them have sprouted more branches. One is growing on the northwest wall and one is doing okay in the shady north wall of the house. Will keep you posted. It will probably take years before they really climb and cover the walls but I think it is worth the wait.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™