Knockout Roses?

biscuit97March 10, 2007

We are thinking of filling a small bed along a fence with knockout roses? The fence is about 7 feet tall and it will soon have confederate jasmine growing all over. The area gets partial sun/shade. Anyone have any experience with this plant? Do you think it will do well (and look good) in the area I have described. Also, I am willing to take suggestions for other plants that may look good in said area. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It should have plenty of sun....more sun than shade, at least. It's touted as black spot RESISTANT, not PROOF, so all the cultural things you can do to prevent that icky disease is important.

They've had some planted for years on the campus at UAH, where with very little care (trust me) it blooms pretty much three seasons out of four. Most people aren't aware that it needs to be pruned rather heavily to keep it small, but that's no big deal.

I've also used it as something of a foundation planting on a project (full sun, heavy clay) and it's performed beautifully. I plan to use one of the shrub roses in my own landscaping this year. Maybe a Knockout....don't know for sure which color yet.

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 11:21AM
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

I planted one late last fall, it is now putting out lots of new growth despite a heavy clay soil. It gets sun all day except forlate afternoon.

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 5:30PM
terramadre

Mine are doing well without much care. They are in heavy clay soil and get part sun/part shade.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 9:53AM
tweetypye(z8/sc AL)

I too, planted my first KR last spring. They were beautiful all summer and fall, with no sign of any disease. They are now putting out new growth, and I am looking forward to them this year.
Jan

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 10:36AM
phillip_in_alabama(7b)

They do live up to their reputation as heavy bloomers and resistant to diseases. The color is a little intense but more colors are coming out this year (a softer pink for one).

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 10:40AM
georgiagal(7)

I planted some last year too & they did really well...I did the Double knockouts & loved them so much, I planted 2 more in the area, for a total of 5. Mine have a lot of new growth too, so can't wait for the blooms this year. Mine get about 1/2 day of sun...I think they do need at least that much to bloom well.

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 2:00PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Phillip, look for 'Blushing' and 'Rainbow' Knock out roses. I think I might try the latter.

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
Another update on madabouteu - by madabouteu
For those who might wonder - I am still doing OK. Legs...
madabouteu
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™