Japanese aralia

loveofmylife680(z7)March 19, 2006

Does anyone know where I can find these local? There are rather pricey so I would rather find them local then paying shipping cost also.

Jill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhighlandhome

Jill,

Are you talking about Fatsia japonica, aka Japanese aralia? If so, Hazel's Backyard Haven in Chelsea sells them cheaper than any place I've ever been, usually in 3-gallon pots.

I planted 8-10 as foundation plants on the north side of my house in deep shade, where little else would be happy. They are one of the best-looking, most care-free plants I grow. They have odd blooms that hang around all winter, and by spring I have tons of little black berries (which, strangely enough, I've never tried germinating). Although a hard freeze will take out some tender new growth, it will quickly be replaced in spring. A neat, easy, tropical-looking plant that deserves more widespread use! Can you tell I love 'em?! ;-)

Best of luck,

Nelson

Bookmark   March 19, 2006 at 9:17PM
loveofmylife680(z7)

THANK YOU THANK YOU I just love the look of the plant, do you have her phone number cant find it in the yellow pages? They are so pretty to me I have been wanting some for 2 years now.
Jill

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 11:18AM
ourhighlandhome

Jill,

I spoke to Joseph, the owner of Hazel's, last night after I made the post (I won't tell him he's a "her"! LOL!) and he confirmed he has 7 or 8 pots of fatsia. His number is 678-8824. I think you'll enjoy a trip to his unusual nursery.

Nelson

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 10:27PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Such a pretty plant. I miss them from SC, where they were much used in the landscape. I do want to warn you that deer love these plants. Con mucho gusto! So much so that Fatsia has pretty much disappeared from the gardens and parks of areas with a population of hungry deer. Just a little warning....hopefully not pertinent in your neck of the woods! :-)

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 8:09AM
loveofmylife680(z7)

Nelson, Once again thank you for the info. I called him today and told him I would be out there either fri or sat might wait till sat because he is there I think thats what he told me. Sure did enjoy talking with him. We started talking about people who plant something in one spot but by the next year they move it [does that ring a bell lol] I am doing that alot too. He spoke very highly of you. Well I owe you one on this great place, the prices are great also.
Jill B.

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 6:59PM
ourhighlandhome

Just a little heads-up...anyone who speaks highly of me loses all credibility! LOL! ;-D

Enjoy your trip to "Hazel's"...

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™