Stacking Fieldstone for walls?

georgiagal(7)March 12, 2007

I'm in B'ham & just discovered this section of Gardenweb...how fun to exchange ideas with others in AL. I've only lived here a little over a year (from GA...hence my name) & we have a lot of work to do in our yard. We'd like to build a small stacking stone wall in the frontyard & I wondered if anyone has a good source in B'ham for those...best price and all? Thanks for any help or tips you can give me.

I'll probably be back to ask lots more questions about plants & other things too. We have a lot of work to do in this yard. I started a couple of small beds last year, so I'm anxious to get going on more plantings this year!

Thanks for any help you can give me on a good fieldstone source.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loveofmylife680(z7)

Know there is a place in Oneonta but the name of it I cant remember.Someone here once mentioned it for someone else maybe they will respond. If I remember I will get back with you. You can search buy putting your question under the search on this site then you will have to research the different post for your ?
Jill

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 11:29PM
georgiagal(7)

Thanks, loveofmylife...it's funny you mentioned Oneonta. One of my neighbors just put in a fieldstone low wall in his frontyard & as I was walking by the other day, I asked him about his source for stones & he said he went to Oneonta! Guess the prices must be way better there, so I'll probably have to check it out & see. Might be worth the trip after all! I was hoping to find a good deal locally.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 8:32PM
tony_pman(7b/8a Al.)

There are severial stone co. north of Oneonta, pass Walmart.
I got some of my stone from Lamb stone Co.
Tony

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 9:28PM
bcb77(7b)

I just completed some flower bed borders in my yard using fieldstone. We got two pallets of rock at Myers Plants in Pelham. They have a great selection, but price wise may not be the cheapest. They were $235 for a 3/4 ton pallet. You haul.

Here is the completed project:

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 4:29PM
bcb77(7b)

OH wait! One more bed. I put in too much work to leave this pic out. Now if I can just get some stuff growing in there. :o)

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 4:36PM
georgiagal(7)

Looks good, bcb...we checked out Pikes & John Deere landscape, but might have to check out Meyers too. Your stone looks nice! Or, going to Oneonta is not out of the question either.

Thanks for all the input!

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 11:18AM
tsmith2579(7B)

Go down Hwy 280 East to Lloyd's BBQ. There is a bait shop, gas station, grocery, landscaping and excavating supplies store across the highway called Perrins. There is a white and blue PURE Oil sign in the lot. They have pallets of rocks outside.

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 11:04PM
kathyinalabama(7b Montevallo)

Is old Mr. Perrin still working the little store there? He is such a character! I think his son runs the rock/gravel business there.
The Perrins are good people.

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 11:02AM
georgiagal(7)

Oh, tssmith...I know just where that place is. We didn't price them yet, but will have to stop & do so. Thanks for the info! We still may end up driving to Oneonta if the prices are better there.

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 6:29PM
allison0704

Hey, Georgiagal. We went to Oneonta to look at rock during our build. There are three stoneyards right there together once you get to Oneonta. Lamb Stone Co, Brown Stone and Oneonta Stone. There's another one called Alabama Wholesale Stone.

Closer is Garner Stone. It will cost you more there but you can see the types of stone. Of course, Pike's is closer to you. fyi, you can always go somewhere and find out the exact name of the stone you want and call the Oneonta places on the phone to have them deliver.

We just bought three dump truck loads of bark from Perrin's and the old man wasn't there. I think his health has really detetriorated over the past year.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 5:10PM
alabamanicole(7b)

I wanted to just say thanks for the great pics, bcb. I was debating brick vs. "castle wall" for a project and wasn't too fond of the idea of either, but your pics showed me exactly the look I was going for. I didn't even think about natural rock. Brain freeze, I guess.

For those price shopping, Sparks Stone Yard in Decatur is selling thin stack fieldstone for $225 per ton, plus a very reasonable delivery fee.

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 10:10PM
trailrunnerbiker

For those folks in this area The Rock Store in Columbus is great. I got Tennessee Fieldstone 1 1/2 Tons delivered here in Opelika for 450.00. Here is a pic of what I have done so far...I have actually restacked this again since the pic. as i now know how to get the even look I was after...it takes a while to get the 2/1 configuration but when you do it is quite steady.

Bookmark   May 4, 2007 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Sick of the Cold!!
Started all my zukes, cukes, and tomatos and this bi-polar...
jenandwya
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Spring swap, from Todd
I can't figure out how to access my trade list (don't...
tedevore
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
Sponsored Products
Ice Olde Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture
$214.50 | Bellacor
Bontempi Casa | Spider Stacking Chair, Set of 2
YLiving.com
Log Rack Covers
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
Christopher Kennedy Infinity 16" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Triumph VX Outdoor Deck Lantern by Maxim Lighting
$188.00 | Lumens