Question - abelia, nandina

roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)March 12, 2006

Hi ya'll,

Have i waited too late to cut them back? Things are hectic, and today i thought about it - as i spent ALL day out in the yard.

Wasn't today gorgeous?!?! I have worked in the yard all day today  well since about noon  I had to do my sisterÂs taxes first. I used the blower cleaning up a lot of leaves  I did some raking yesterday  and realized I have TOO much property to rake  gotta use a blower, and use the rake for INSIDE the flower beds. my arms are ACHING from using the blower all day, and i still have MORE to do at some point. For some STRANGE reason, I thought the blower would be "easy"  guess that was b/c I never used it  butthead always did that.

Hope everyone enjoyed the beautiful day...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loveofmylife680(z7)

It was so pretty today, I worked outside from 9 till 5 little girl had fun helping momma dig holes for the flowers we were moving. We moved the banana tree and elephant ears what a job. I know everyone else is ready for their flowers to bloom. Happy gardening everyone. Muscles will be aching tommorow.
Jill

Bookmark   March 12, 2006 at 10:52PM
terramadre

According to the calendar, it's still winter ;-)

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 7:54AM
Lgkovalcik(z7 AL)

Go ahead and cut 'em back. Sounds like you're in the mood to do a little damage!

I cut my abelia almost to the ground every third year or so. Keeps them full and fresh looking. Within a month or two, you'd never know they'd been assaulted with a deadly pruner.

For the nandina, I cut the tallest stalks back to near the ground about this time of year. The new growth is lower and keeps them from getting gangly.

LauraK

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 9:39AM
auhort1990(8a)

I could have swore I replied to this message this morning. Oh well. Go ahead and cut them back.

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 1:59PM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Thanks ya'll! I will cut them back this weekend....

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™