Ralph Moore's South African OGR

alana8ascOctober 1, 2012

Does anyone grow this rose? If anyone does tell me what you can about it please. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogrose_tx

I have had this rose in the ground about 3 years, have not seen a bloom (if it is indeed Ralph Moore's SA OGR; there seems to be some question over the name). Will be interested in other comments!

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 8:24PM
hartwood

Every rose I have seen in commerce labeled as Ralph Moore's South African OGR is NOT the rose it is supposed to be. The rose that is being sold is 'Manetti', a rose that was once widely used as rootstock. Someone must have accidently propagated an old rootstock sucker thinking they were getting RMSAOGR, and that rose has been passed along to customers and nurseries as the named found variety. The photos of RMSAOGR on HMF show a very double deep pink Bourbon, which is what it is supposed to look like, I am told. What we get when we order this rose now is a semi-double pale pink flower with pointy Noisette style buds. Definitely NOT a Bourbon.

Earlier this year, when spring catalogs came out, I notified the nurseries who are selling what they believe to be RMSAOGR, and received assurances that they would correct their catalogs. I had this rose in MY catalog four years ago, not knowing that I bought, planted, and was selling the wrong rose. When I realized the mistake, I notified the purchasers and offered them a replacement or refund.

If you want to order this rose, verify with the nursery that they are indeed propagating and distributing the correct one.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 8:14AM
alana8asc

Ok everyone thanks so much for the replies.I'm just not going to get it to be safe.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 10:33AM
trospero(8)

Ralph's SA Bourbon is the same as what is sometimes found sold as 'Charles Lawson'. Its very double, well scented, is quite lax, making an umbrella-shaped plant that tends to touch the ground when weighted down with bloom. It blooms for a brief period in the Spring only. It also tends to drop a lot of its foliage when the summer heat comes on, making for a rather unattractive plant. Its nice, but nothing extraordinary, IMO. I still have it somewhere, I think.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 11:29PM
alana8asc

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INPUT, I'M THINKING OF CHANGING SINCE IT DOESN'T SEEM LIKE IT WILL BE A GREAT ROSE. THANKS SO MUCH NO ROOM FOR DUDS :)

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Snow pictures
I'm not sure how many inches we got last night but...
erasmus_gw
close cousins of Belinda's Dream?
BD looks like a great landcaping/cutting rose, but...
Adam Harbeck
Well, well, well....I found the culprit!
For the past few years, I have blamed my wood mulch...
mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
'Prospero'
We just got back from two wonderful days camped at...
jerijen
about the David Austin bagged root roses out there now
Over on the rose forum there was a report of Austin...
stillanntn6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™