Ornamental alliums

madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)April 2, 2013

Is anyone growing any of the ornamental alliums - those with the large, globular purple blossoms? I sem to remember reading that they do not do well here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

When I moved into this place, there was a batch of big, tall leeks growing in the middle of the yard doing just fine with no care. (They have huge flowers.)

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 9:38AM
jeff_al

i planted some two years ago and they never showed up!
it may have been because of the source which i will not buy from again. they were the ones that you find at the box store which carry the label of the komen foundation. i think they should not be in the flower business. i noticed that their bags of bulbs and tubers all tended to be dried up and dead.
otherwise, i don't see them in gardens in my area farther south of you so they may not do well here.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 1:50PM
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

Jeff, the one time I have tried one, I might have goten mine from the same source - and I know I haf=d the same results! I may try a leek and see what happens, I do have a local source for them.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 6:01PM
browneyedsusan_gw(8a)

My experience: I planted A. giganteum, christophii and gladiator bulbs and they did not even put out leaves. A. schubertii, Allium ampeloprasum var. ampeloprasum (elephant garlic), A. tuberosum (garlic chives), A. schoenoprasum (onion chives), a white fall flowering allium and Tulbaghia violacea (not an allium but smells like one) have done well for me. Scott Ogden's book (Garden Bulbs for the South) which I wish I had discovered before I bought all the large-flowering allium bulbs, confirms what I observed. It also states that A. spherocephalon (drumstick allium), A. triquetrum, A. coryi and A. neapolitanum do well in the south-I have not tried them. I can bring the noid fall flowering white allium and elephant garlic to the swap if you would like them. Susan

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 10:37PM
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

Thanks, Susan. Yes, I would appreciate a few of those bulbs! I got the Gadsden Public Library to order Ogden's book and have it here right on my desk, what a help! Too bad the giant alliums do not do well here, I would like one as an accent.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 5:41AM
browneyedsusan_gw(8a)

I have you down for the alliums.
Susan

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™