plant shopping in Mobile area

Cindi McMurrayApril 2, 2009

Hello all,

My daughter is living in Mobile, working at the University of South Alabama until the semester ends in May. Hopefully she'll move back to Kansas after that. I won't be able to visit her before she moves back, so I'm going to have her do some plant shopping for me. She's not a real plant person, (yet!)so what I plan to do is send her to nurseries, then shop by cell phone. I need help from you all in finding nurseries so I don't send her on a wild goose chase. I imagine I can get her to drive within an hour from Mobile, so what I need is a list of good places to find the plants I most want. I would like to find:

Banana shrub, Nun's Orchid, a papaya tree, a Key Lime tree, brugmansia, lycoris or lilies like that, hibiscus.

Last time I was down that way I was amazed at how many nurseries I saw, and how much cheaper they were than what we pay up here. Most of the plants I mentioned are not available up here at any price. I know I could probably find them on mail order, but part of my plan is to get my 21 year old daughter to love plants the way I do.

Any help is appreciated! Feel free to email me privately if you want to keep your favorite sources secret!

Price is important too. Let me know if one place is cheaper than another.

Cindi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

Mobile Bot. Gardens is having a Marketplace sale every Saturdy throuhg June from 9-11 a.m. Google them to see what is offered.

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 2:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rickinla(8B SW AL)

Try Bayside Tropical Nursery 251-443-9222 on Hammock Road; they have citrus trees and many tropicals that probably won't live in KS. Also Shore Acres (251) 973-1459 on Belligrath Road, they have a very large selection and great prices. Lowes also has a good selection including citrus trees and hybiscus.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™