what did I do?!

MiKru(7b/8)April 17, 2013

Apparently my local squirrel community hates my guts. I knew about this hatred last year, so I took some precautions (bird netting over my raised beds, with the seedlings put in small tears in the netting), but they seem to have spent the winter thinking through ways to keep me from growing a garden. They are simply wreaking havoc on everything. If I've learned anything from this, it's that a replanted dug-up tomato seedling springs back to life quite quickly.

I've googled around and read the various solutions. But I'm just wondering: does anyone have real life experience with something that's worked? I can't shoot them, as I'm not a gun person and there are too many kids and houses around, but I seem to live among the most vindictive squirrel population in Alabama.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Squirrels are the most prolific, busy, and constant of all gardeners, but they do make strange decisions, don't they?! Hard to wrap your mind around sometimes.

Your question is kind of vague, but I have learned squirrels are not the only critters digging around out there. Toads and armadillos may have done some of these things.

Is it newly planted baby plants that are your focus? If it's few enough in number, putting a few rocks or bricks around them can help protect. Plastic forks stuck in the dirt, handle-end first, with the tines sticking up are a great deterrent around new plants or in pots.

When tomatoes start coming on, keeping a water dish nearby can help them go unmolested longer if they are being nibbled out of thirst.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:38AM
MiKru(7b/8)

It's definitely squirrels -- I have a fenced in yard and have never seen an armadillo in it.

I'm just trying to protect my seedlings. I've raised them from seed since February. I'll definitely try rocks and forks. Thanks for the tip.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:50PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I hope it helps! They don't usually bother my veggie plants but for some reason, there's several old wash tubs at the base of trees in this yard. Cool planters but sometimes these get molested pretty bad, frustrating. Too much area for forks, arranging the little rocks gets tedious as I keep adding a sprig of this, baby piece of that...

Don't discount Fowler's toad for digging though. I've found them in pots and under things, and seen them jump up out of flower beds - out of the ground - when I stared poking around.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 2:35PM
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

They love to dig in my winter sowing containers...

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
alabamanicole(7b)

If they start attacking your veggies, especially if it's been dry, keeping the birdbath full will help. They do love soft soil to dig in.

Or, you could get a terrier. :)

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™