Cannas

donnadee54(7)April 19, 2010

Longtime lurker here and I really appreciate all the advice and wisdom that you share. I live in central Alabama and have had cannas in the ground for many years. Should I be concerned that I haven't seen any signs of life yet -- or is it still a little bit early?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmbeckman(6)

I live in Southern Cullman Co. Mine are just now starting to poke their heads up.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 1:16PM
donnadee54(7)

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Cullman County too -- I'll just try to be patient a little longer.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 2:40PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Well, I'm in Mobile, and mine are up about a foot. They are looking pretty healthy, but I doused them with Sevin dust anyway. Those leaf curler thingys can sure make them look a mess.

My favorite Phaesion is in a big pot, and it looks great. The other striped canna, Praetoria or is it Bengal Tiger, it has spread during the winter, and I have several small shoots coming up as far away from the original plant as 2 feet. I hope the clummp will look great by late summer.

I was working in the front beds today, did not get around to the one in my circle driveway, where all the day lilies and other cannas reside. Maybe tomorrow.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 7:44PM
Bamatufa(7 - Trussville, AL)

I live in Jefferson County. I have Cannas in two areas of my yard and they have already come up. Although eight out of nine of my banana plants are showing no signs of life. This is making me sick.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™