Flower/ground cover for moist shade?

Bhamster(7b)April 12, 2014

We have what I consider a junky area of our yard on the north side of our home where a 6-foot fence gate prevents much sun from hitting an area that's about 15 feet long and 4 feet wide. We recently planted some cephalotaxus fastigiata there but they are very small and apparently very slow growing, so I'd like to plant something around them to fill in. It's pretty much clay and gravel, but we have added amended topsoil for the shrubs.

Someone suggested violet but could that get out of bounds and into the lawn? Or would it only stay where it's shady?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

Vinca. Give it about a year to get established and the next year it will take off.

Do NOT plant violets if you don't want them in your lawn, garden, under the shed, crawlspace... okay, maybe not the crawlspace.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 5:08PM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

Partridge berry maybe?

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 11:30PM
jeff_al

a couple that do well for me in similar conditons are strawberry begonia and asarums and hexastylis, especially h. splendens (chinese showy ginger).
the strawberry begonia is neither a strawberry nor a begonia but is saxifraga stolonifera. it is just beginning to flower at my house and the flowers are a nice addition to the pretty foliage.
for what it's worth, i am still eradicating vinca in my woods after planting it many years ago (if nicole and i are thinking of the same plants, the perennial vinca major and minor).
i regret the day i dug a piece and introduced it to my garden.

hexastylis splendens

you can see some of the strawberry begonia at the base of the concrete planter in this photo.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 2:23PM
alabamanicole(7b)

Hmm. It's more behaved here. The problem in my woods is someone's old English Ivy. Grrr!

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 7:40AM
More Discussions
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™