Fire ants..

Desirai(7B)April 14, 2014

I built a brand new flower bed this year.. planted some bulbs and other things in it...

Now fire ants are taking it over.. there's thousands of them crawling over the soil and building nests in it and around it.. i put down poison, but the ants just move to the other side of it.

I hate fire ants and I wish they would go extinct. I hate them. :( please help, how can I get rid of them if poison isn't??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

One dose does not necessarily do the job, nor is there necessarily just one colony there. Keep applying.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 6:24PM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

What poison are you using?

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 11:27PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

In another forum, I suggested that she put down the other pesticides and purchase some Amdro Fire Ant Bait granules. Fire ants are very difficult to kill without using a sneaky bait.....their nesting chambers are very convoluted and lengthy, making typical contact poisons very inefficient.

Amdro, when applied according to the directions, will be taken deep into the nest and eventually fed to the whole colony, including the larvae and the queen. The demise of the colony will usually come in a few days.....as long as the directions are followed.

Don't disturb the nest before or after the application of the bait or the whole population will pack up and move elsewhere....and not very far away. We want them to remain calm enough to take the bait and methodically distribute it.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 12:25PM
gardenper(8)

I use the Spectracide Fire Ant bait and Terro Liquid Ant bait (and there are many other brands of granule bait or liquid bait). The first is when I know where the ant mound is. I will pour it in and around the mound.

The second is when it is indoors or when I don't know where the ants are coming from, but I see their marching line.

Both have been effective in removing the ants or killing them from the general vicinity, but I think the other ant baits have a similar active ingredient, so give one of them a try.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 12:33PM
Desirai(7B)

Thanks Rhizo :)

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™