something new, something blue

jeff_alApril 9, 2014

first successful attempt to grow virginia bluebells after 2 or 3 failures. every piece i have planted in the ground has either not emerged or only came up once but never flowered. last year, i ordered and planted 4; two in the ground and two in containers (concrete planters with good potting soil). the container plants, esp. this one, look healthy (for now). i know they don't remain visible for very long before doing dormant but they sure are pretty while they last. they must be very persnickety about the site conditions and moisture may be the key. i have other plants in the containers that i keep well watered all growing season. i have never come across this plant growing in natural areas and the best description i have heard that fits is "uncommon except where locally abundant". if they are in a site that meets their needs, they will flousish. anybody have advise for growing tips that they can share?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

In nature, they generally occur in sheltered woodland hollows with rich, deep humic soil, which typically stay moist but not wet most of the year. Here, that's generally in the Appalachian ridge areas of the northeast part of the state.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 6:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

thanks.
i was hoping for a reply from someone who cultivates them as a garden plant rather than container specimen. i think i may be too far south for them to naturalize in the surrounding woods. the soil under these deciduous trees is a well-drained sandy loam and has winter and spring wet conditions but probably too dry there during summer.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
Another update on madabouteu - by madabouteu
For those who might wonder - I am still doing OK. Legs...
madabouteu
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™