Farewell to an oak tree

catbird(z7 AL)April 11, 2013

We've been sitting at our breakfast table trying not to cry as we watch the tree man dismantling our 45 year old oak tree and the neighbor's big old oak tree which blew over against ours in the last storm. The tree people here are desperately trying to get down as many imperiled trees as possible before the big storm moves in this evening, so they're mostly working in one man crews and not taking time to lower the cut limbs with a rope. I'm watching BIG limbs crash onto my oak leaf hydrangeas and may apples and clethra and a couple of small dogwood trees. Oh, well, I tell myself, they're just plants. Most will grow back - eventually - and ones that don't will just leave space for some new things. Such in the life of a gardener. Mother Nature will have her way and I'm thankful that the trees didn't fall on our house in the last storm and that the man's getting them down before the next one.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
browneyedsusan_gw(8a)

Alice,
I am sorry you lost your old tree- it is a part of the history of your home and family. I planted a tree each time I gave birth to a child, and it would make me sad if I had to cut down any of them.
I hope you are planning to come to the swap-it wouldn't be the same without you. Please look at my list and see if there is anything that will fill the void in your garden.
Susan.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 4:19PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Oh my, it's just a sad tree-day. Sympathies!! A friend in OH called earlier mourning the loss of her ash trees, about 8 of them in a pretty small yard, which were killed by EAB and had to come down as they were tall enough to be dangerous in a neighborhood back yard.

Do you also now have much less shade?

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 5:18PM
alabamanicole(7b)

So sorry you have to watch them go. :( 45 years is so young for an oak tree to lose it!

There's something about oaks. When my neighbor lost her big 200+ year old tree a year ago she and I both cried -- and it still leaves a big hole in the neighborhood, especially since I had to cut down 2 big ash trees the previous year, too.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 5:59PM
outsideplaying_gw(7)

Oh my, I'm so sorry! I don't recall exactly where you live, but know that there were several trees down in the Huntsville area last Thursday. I would be crying too! When I now see your time tag, I realize that the tornadoes moved in about an hour later. I hope you didn't have any further damage from those. I was driving home (south) from Redstone around 4:15 and hit a wall of rain and had to come to a near stop because I couldn't see. Scared me to death, but fortunately there was not much wind. About 15 minutes later I heard about the damage that hit Lily Flagg and Whitesburg.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:46AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Oh, I'm so sorry. It really hurts to lose an important tree.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 9:17PM
drippy(7bAL)

My sympathies, Catbird - oak trees are very special, particularly when it's been a part of your life for so long. Hope you are safe from the storms that followed.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 7:56AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

...the most appropriate place I could think of to say goodbye to the Toomer's corner oaks. No football loyalties one way or the other (except to say "Go Bucks") but this is a very sad thing even to me!

Are there many sadder sounds than a chainsaw? Misty!

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Pruning pampas grass
Is it too late to cut back my pampas grass? I live...
jen6747
Sponsored Products
'Family' Tree Burlap Canvas Wall Art
$39.99 | zulily
New Haven Aged Silver Six-Light Pendant
$838.00 | Bellacor
Sterling Industries 137-016 Rossington-Circular Wall Panel w/ Tree Of Life [Set
Beyond Stores
Malibu Flood Lights. Low Voltage 20-Watt Black Flood Light
$17.97 | Home Depot
Mirabelle Orchid Single Candlestick - MULTI COLORS
$2,200.00 | Horchow