looking for orchids around Tuscaloosa

southernorchidlover(z7)April 20, 2006

Hello all,

I'm looking for some nice orchids that I can't find at the local HD or Lowe's. I have a number of phals, but finding oncidiums and the like around here is a real challenge.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Valencia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maxmom96

I too live in Tuscaloosa and yesterday I saw 3 lonely looking paphiopedilum's at Home Depot. I used to grow a few orchids when I had good windows since I didn't have a greenhouse, but I could never grow the paph's. Dunn's and Barton's usually have orchids. Haven't been to Barton's this year, but Dunn's has a few different kinds.

Have you tried mail ordering? Usually the orchid houses have some different types in bud that they can ship successfully. (I always liked the immediate gratification of having a bud already formed.) One of the great places I would mail order from was Hausermann's in Illinois. They do have a website, and will mail a catalog. Subscribing to the American Orchid Society Bulletin will also provide you with great information and also names of mail order houses.

Oncidiums are easy to grow, but have you tried cattlyeas? They're very easy to grow and spectacular to look at, and some even smell great, and added plus.

Good luck in your search.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 2:57PM
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

Let me second the idea of mail order. I have done it a number of times and always have been satisfied. I bought a lot from Oakhill Gardens - cheap but good!

Bookmark   April 24, 2006 at 10:12AM
southernorchidlover(z7)

Maxmom, I saw them too! Barton's usually has only phals and goodness knows I have enough of those! Dunn's is a good idea...I'll have to check it out.

I had a wonderful smelling cattleya (lime green with a purple lip), but it died.

Thank you and madabouteu for dropping those names!

Bookmark   April 24, 2006 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™