tree needs help!

blamb2006April 19, 2009

Hello all,

I am located in central alabama and I have a problem with a tree located in my back yard, a beautiful 35 ft oak tree, of which variety I'm not sure. It has gotten for lack of a better term, blisters on top of all the leaves and on the bottom of the leaves

it has a white milky substance. The leaves look terrible and I would hate to loose this tree as it is the only one that provides any shade to the back yard.

Does anybody have any clue as to what might be happening?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lsmcw(7b-AL)

I would suggest taking a small branch to your County Agent. If he/she can't help, you can look in the phone book for a certified arborist. Don't ask a landscaper because many of them will tell you to top the tree which is the worst thing you can do. Good luck - oaks are to be treasured. Linda

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 8:57AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Would it be possible for you to take pictures of this ailment? I'm suspecting a somewhat common fungal disorder called (oddly enough!) Oak Leaf Blister. It's not fatal, but can sure affect the appearance of a lovely tree.

I'd very much like to see images, as there are other possibilities, as well. Proper diagnosis is key to making the right next step. Don't let anyone do any 'cutting' or pesticide applications until you are certain of a diagnosis.

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 12:54PM
blamb2006

Thank you for the response!
Rhizo, I keyed in images of oak leaf blister and any one of the images could be seen on my tree, It seems that would have to be it, with the exception of the white areas under the leaf. And sorry, I dont have a way of posting a picture
Thank you again!

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
Another update on madabouteu - by madabouteu
For those who might wonder - I am still doing OK. Legs...
madabouteu
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™