Lantana ?

down2earthApril 11, 2007

I grow lantana in my butterfly garden. Is it a heavy feeder or one of the plants that prefers a poorer soil?

d2e

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Butterflyer1966(z7 , AL)

Hi there,
we just discussed LANTANA over at the Butterfly-Forum and we remarked how easy it is to grow..Once established you can really leave it alone..
Some Members give Lantana a headstart by mixing Chicken Manure in the poil and looking at the picture, it seems to work..Whenever I plant Lantana, I fertilize it while planting it and then just water it until it is established..
Check out our Butterfly-Gardening Forum some time, we have tons of pictures and tips to share..
See you there..
Butterfly-Greetings
Susanne(SUE)

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 8:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

I've found perennial lantana will grow just about anywhere and in any conditions. It comes up through the cracks between patio blocks and thrives in the heat of the pavers. It grows in a bed next to the greenhouse which was red clay when it was first planted. My lantana (Miss Huff, I think) grows 5 feet tall and as wide. The hotter the better. Drought doesn't seem to affect it. I'm afraid to fertilize it because it may shove the greenhouse off the foundation. - Terry

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Want long leaf pine
Does anyone know of a source for long leaf pine seeds...
josephene_gw
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™