Can you help me indentify this plant?

realitycheck3907April 29, 2012

I have been trying to identify this plant. My dad has always told me that its poison oak. But I cant find it. Can you tell me what it is?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/realitycheck3907/IMAG0085.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

That's Parthenocissus quinquefolia, called Virginia Creeper. Look out, because it seems to grow right alongside poison ivy, most of the times that I've seen it!
Though this plant is not related to Poison Ivy (not even in the same family), reports of contact dermatitis are not uncommon.

Considered a weed by most, many appreciate the fall color it provides and find the 5-leaflet leaf structure very attractive. It's in the same plant family as grapes, Vitaceae.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 6:34AM
catbird(z7 AL)

Virginia Creeper is pretty, but in my experience quite invasive. It's not as bad a kudzu, but my neighbor has it in a wooded area along our fence and I fight it constantly. Runners will appear 15' inside our yard and seedlings pop up everywhere.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:33PM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

Gosh, any plant that's not difficult to grow is labeled an invasive...a poor plant just can't win. Don't tell an Ivy League graduate his dorm was covered in invasive weeds, Boston or Virginian.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 12:19AM

I was reading, a while back, that Yale has finally successfully rid their buildings of ivy. It was simply too destructive and the damage would often remain hidden from view until it became hugely expensive to repair.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 10:12AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Rhizo - Thanks for posting. Absolutely right. Plants growing on side of buildings cause three major problems: damaging roots growing into the structure itself, invites moisture, and invites insects. It looks pretty, but I would never have any vine of any type growing on my home. I plant all foundation plantings with the rootball center at least three feet from the house. I actually keep a yardstick in my gardening tools for this - works great!

Virginia creeper is a terrible, terrible plant down here in Florida. If it gets away from you (grows without your noticing), the lateral roots easily get an inch thick or more - and then you can't even yank them up. It becomes a major project to remove even a few feet of it.

Carol

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 11:00AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

The term invasive has 2 meanings. One has to use the context of a sentence to see which connotation of the word invasive applies. This plant is a native, so technically it can't be invasive in the sense that it invades where it shouldn't. But it's far too exuberant for most to want it in a manicured lawn & garden setting.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™