Intro

freebird914April 15, 2007

Freebird914 here, Did the unthinkable and fill in my pool to create a 16 by 32 garden...It's been a slow process, Growing mostly vegetables and try to get the soil correct so it's gonna be a battle... Looking forward to sharing ideas and maybe some laughter along to way....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

Welcome to our little piece of the horticultural world. We tend to get to know each other and develop an extended family. Did you provide drainage from the pool or are you going to grow a bog garden in rainy years? Save your grass clippings and work them in with chopped leaves in Fall. Do you hve a compost pit? Horse manure, especially composted manure, is good as well. In what part of Alabama do you live? Come join us for the plant swap in Birmingham in May.

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 12:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freebird914

Thanks for the welcome, I am in Montgomery, I did provide drainage for the pool, I broke up the thin layer of what some call plaster even after I was told that it was able to drain thru. (liner type pool) It's been a battle to finally get it filled. But I am happy, I grow mostly vegetables but did have three rose bushes last year... Lots of tomatoes and pepper. I have been looking at building a compost bin but to be honest a bit lazy, LOL
That is on my list to get done this summer, Slow progress but steady. Thanks again for the welcome and Have a nice day.

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 7:33AM
More Discussions
Want long leaf pine
Does anyone know of a source for long leaf pine seeds...
josephene_gw
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Fall Swap 2014
It's time to start thinking about the fall swap. We...
browneyedsusan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™