Olive trees

heathcates(8A)May 7, 2010

Anyone have any advice on picking a good olive tree (or 2) to grow in Alabama? And where to get them, if locally, in Lee Co.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_in_huntsville_al(7a)

I recently (in early April) planted a locally-grown Tea Olive that I bought from a nursery here in Huntsville and it seems to be doing real well. It lost a number of leaves the first few weeks but has put out a lot of new growth and seems to be taking off. We had a Tea Olive at our former home in S.C. that we really enjoyed (the fragrance was terrific all summer and it looked great and was easy to maintain.)

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 1:19PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Are you talking about real, edible olives (Olea europaea) or tea olive (osmanthus fragrans)? As I recall the Vine and Olive colony in Demopolis, AL failed because the olive was not adapted to west Alabama soil. The soil in Marengo county and east along Hwy 80 has a layer of chalk under the soil. I believe Lee county is included in the chalk underlayment. See the link below to get the phone number of the Auburn Cooperative Extension Services. They should be able to answer all of your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Auburn Cooperative Extension Agent

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 11:00PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Tsmith, I'd find it very interesting to plant a real, edible olive tree or two if necessary for fruiting. In Mobile. I've already planted a satsuma and 2 kumquats, about 5 or 6 kiwi.

And I'd love to get the fruiting passion vine. It seems to be hard to find.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 2:20AM
tsmith2579(7B)

Moccasinlanding, you are out of the chalk layer in Mobile so you might be more successful and Mobile county has a much more Mediterranean type climate than does Montgomery or Demopolis. They had small Olea europaea (edible) for sale at the recent Bham Botanical Gardens sale. Myer's nursery has some pot of miniature olive in Pelham today. I am assuming the miniature plants make edible olives as well.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 11:31PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Thank you so much for that information. I will see what I can do to add olives to our garden here.

Did you ever take a look at my photo albums of the gardens surrounding the Villa Borgo Tre Querce in Italy? I was most impressed with the similarity of plants in their garden and those in Mobile. I'' give you the link below to my Webshots albums. Look for the album about Italy. What they do with star jasmine is outstanding!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moccasin's Webshots Albums

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 1:50PM
raye01

I am also interested in growing an olive tree of the edible variety here in Mobile. Is there a place that sells them in my neck of the woods? Also, do cherry trees of the edible variety grow in Mobile?

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
Sick of the Cold!!
Started all my zukes, cukes, and tomatos and this bi-polar...
jenandwya
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
Sponsored Products
Gea Pendant by LZF
$820.00 | Lumens
Malibu Path & Landscape Lights Black LED Solar Spot Light 8501-0604-01
$19.97 | Home Depot
Area Rug: Palace Treasures Olive 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Everest Palm Tree/Desert Sand 3'11" x 5'3" Rug
Overstock.com
Encore Dark Wine Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor