climbing plants

sykomommie(8)May 28, 2014

Hi, I live in Mobile Al. I have a chain link fence around my yard with a PVC arch over the drive way. I would like to have it covered with some type of vine or flowering something to grow over and cover it. Any suggestions? Please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

So many possibilities... in your area the first possibility that would come to mind is a Passiflora, at least for the arch. You have a lot of semitropical plants to choose from - I am trying to remember from when I lived in New Orleans! Aristolochia has several species such as A, grandiflora and A. gigantea that would be truly spectacular but A. littoralis would be too small.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 7:09PM
Desirai(7B)

hyacinth bean vine maybe? I'm growing some of those for the first time this year

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 6:53PM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

I'm in Saraland!

I covered a bunch of old iron work on my front porch with coral honeysuckle (not Jap.) and Carolina jessamine. It's native, evergreen and the hummers love it.

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 7:36PM
fairlight47(7bAL)

How about moonflower? It has large leaves and big white flowers, very pretty. I covered the old dish with that vine and you can't see that eyesore anymore. I bought the seeds online last year and just planted them in May!

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:44PM
Carrie1961(7)

I am not sure of the botanical name, but I saw a vine called tropical bleeding heart. It has dark green foliage, white and red hearts.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 2:03PM
outsideplaying_gw(7)

The mandevilla has been stunning this year in zone 7 so it should do well in zone 8 for you. Big foliage and big flowers.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™