cutting back crepe mrytles

cindylou111May 23, 2007

That cold snap that we had at the beginning of April, made the leaves on my newly planted crepe mrytles turn brown. Although they have new growth shooting up from the bottom, I want to know if the old limbs will get new growth back on them. They do not look like they will but my azaleas and other bushes that looked the same have now come back. Thanks for your help. Cindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I doubt that your newly planted Crapemyrtles will regrow. Established trees are slowly coming back, but I have seen some of those with a lot of die-back, too.

I'd cut your Crape back to the new growth and let it start from scratch.

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 2:58PM
cindylou111

Thanks Rhizo, I didn't think they would and since this is my first year living in NE Al I had not experience this type of thing before. Cindy

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 11:11AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

This was a very unusual event for N Alabama, believe me!

The freezing temperatures at that time of year are not at ALL odd, but rather the very warm several weeks we had prior to that. All of our plants would have been just fine had that sequence of climate event not happened.

So ALL of us are in a bit of a quandry. The bad thing is, that I strongly suspect that we have yet to see the extent of the damage. Freezes like this cause hidden problems that won't surface for quite some time.

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™