When should I give up on a perennial's return ?

zelenkabachMay 14, 2013

How do you know for certain that a perennial is not going to return? By what date do you think most should be showing signs of life?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

With this spring, it's hard to say; lots of things are late. We had a mild winter, but also a wet one which can kill, too. What's the plant you are concerned about?

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 5:43PM
zelenkabach

I planted a bunch of new perennials last year, including some angel's trumpets that I had grown from cuttings of my own plants.
Many of the new plantings from last year have been up and running for a month. My established angel's trumpets are well on there way, but the ones I planted last year have mixed results. A couple have returned but others...nothing. I had a Night blooming jasmine that I planted last year that isn't doing anything, although the old stump is still strongly attached. I am mourning the loss of a lion's tale (wild dagga) that hasn't done anything.

Such is life, but I was just curious as to what the conventional wisdom would advise, as these plants are new to me so I don't know their history.

I already accidentally dug up a viable plant from last year that just hadn't started to leaf out, so I am a little cautious.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:15PM
bulzi(8a)

Just noticed that the plumbago is up a couple of inches. Lantana is taking its time, with warm weather it should pop on up. I hope.

What ever does not come back will lend its place to something new.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 11:26PM
alabamanicole(7b)

I'm not familiar with those plants and when they should pop up, lynnsdaughter, but my stevia and lantana haven't come up yet and I have every reason to think they should come back.

With the nice rain and a solid week of warm weather ahead of us, I may give up if they don't pop up by the end of the week or two.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 10:31AM
drippy(7bAL)

Stevia comes back here? Cool! I got some at the Huntsville Botanical Garden sale, and was prepared to cut & dry it all at the end of the season, thinking it was an annual. I'll leave some for next year! :)

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 5:38PM
alabamanicole(7b)

It comes back if we have a zone 8 winter. It will also reseed itself although germination rates are really poor so it's a little dicey and it's unlikely to take over.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 5:52PM
bulzi(8a)

OMG, Just Googled " When should I give up on a perennial's return". It refers back to here.....patience is a perennial's virtue.

It seems to take for ever for the Hidden Lily to emerge.....and when it does---- I wonder--- why have that...?....,but always glad to see it.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:16AM
drippy(7bAL)

I have a salt marsh hibiscus I grew from seed that has been struggling along for a couple of years. It looked truly dead until today, when I saw just a little green coming back from the base. I wait a loooong time before I give up on perennials.

Thanks for the tip on the stevia, Nicole.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™