Sunflowers as window sun block?

daffodillady(7b/8a central AL)May 22, 2010

I have two mobile home windows located inside my dog fence that recieve full afternoon sun. I read recently on another forum about planting sunflowers as a temporary non-toxic sun block for windows. If I was to plant some seeds in the ground this week, would they grow fast enough to help shade the windows? I am not overly concerned about flowering. How many seeds per window, how far away from the window, any other pro/con thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'd think you'd be MUCH happier with some inexpensive bamboo shades or other window treatments. It will take some time for sunflowers to grow tall enough to shade windows.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 9:40PM
alabamanicole(7b)

I second rhizo's suggestion. A roll-up shade hung from the eaves is quite a bit more reliable.

Another option, perhaps for next year, is a trellis with a climbing squash or gourd.

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 9:49AM
daffodillady(7b/8a central AL)

Thanks ya'll. This is a rental unit and therefore I can not attatch anything new to the structure. I already have blinds and drapes inside. Well, the sunflowers were an interesting and inexpensive thought- perhaps if I could have planted them early on (-:

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Spring swap, from Todd
I can't figure out how to access my trade list (don't...
tedevore
Pruning pampas grass
Is it too late to cut back my pampas grass? I live...
jen6747
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™