What was the name of the plant I got?

loveofmylife680(z7)May 6, 2007

I received a plant from this lady here cant remember your name but I have lost the tag. I am begining to think my 3 yr old had something to do with the tags being gone. I remember asking you could it become invasive. The lady in the pink shirt, I feel so bad about not remembering your name.

Jill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lsmcw(7b-AL)

Hey Jill, I'm Linda and it's Ok - I didn't remember your name either! And I can't remember what plant you got! (A mind is a terrible thing to lose). Please decribe it and maybe I can ID it. Linda

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 9:30AM
loveofmylife680(z7)

It is about 12 to 15 inches tall had 4 tall stems here is a pic. My stepson kept saying he thought it was Linda those young minds can remember better than me.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 9:55AM
dirtyoldman(z7B AL)

If the plant in question is the tall one in the middle of the pic, what you have is a ginger lily. There are quite a few different kinds. Butterfly ginger (Hedychium coronarium) with fragrant, white flowers is the most common, but you can also get other species with fragrant yellow, orange, or pink flowers. Ginger lilies aren't invasive, but the clumps do steadily spread. They're easy to divide just as they start emerging in spring and you can give starts to friends.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 11:25AM
loveofmylife680(z7)

Yes it is the one in front of the daylilies.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 11:45AM
loveofmylife680(z7)

I have ginger and these leaves are not as big as the ones on my ginger plant. The pic does not help show how big the leaves are but they are only about 2 to 3 inches long.
Jill

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 12:25PM
lsmcw(7b-AL)

OK, Jill, now I remember. Those are asters. They will be covered in purple/blue flowers in late summer and into the fall. You can cut them back when you plant and they will be shorter - it left unchecked they can get 3-4 feet tall. Linda

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 1:16PM
loveofmylife680(z7)

Linda, Thank you for the plant cant wait to see it bloom. How many inches from the ground do you think I should cut it?
Jill

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 3:12PM
lsmcw(7b-AL)

No more that half. Or you can cut a few in half and some trim by 1/4. Enjoy! Linda

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Did you know - GW now part of Houzz?
I guess word has gotten around by now, but I haven't...
outsideplaying_gw
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
Fall Swap 2014
It's time to start thinking about the fall swap. We...
browneyedsusan_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™