Anyone growing Petasites hybridus?

john_trussville(z7b AL)May 17, 2006

Just discovered this plant recently. I like about anything that is big and tropical in appearance and was thinking about trying it in the woods adjacent to my yard. From what I've read its supposed to spread pretty fast. Was just wondering how invasive it can be & if I'll be sorry in a year or two. Anyone have experience with it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terramadre

Well, I am growing both Petasites japonicus 'Variegatus' and P. japonicus. They are behaving but I am aware that they could spread rapidly. I, too, like the large leaf tropical appearance; however, mine are still quite small.
You may want to try them in the woods.........

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 7:17PM
john_trussville(z7b AL)

terramadre, thanks for the pics. You've convinced me that 'Variegatus' is the one I've got to have. A couple more questions: Do you have yours planted in a wet area? If not, do you have to water it to prevent wilting when we have a hot, dry period? My property is all pretty high on a mountain ridge and I have plenty of shady areas, but its all very well drained. And if you don't mind me asking, did you acquire yours locally or buy online? I've found it available from Brian's Botanicals so I may order it from him if I find its not available in the B'ham area.

thanks again,
john

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 8:32PM
catbird(z7 AL)

Whiteflower Farm's on-line catalogue says it's called "pestasites" because of its tendency to become invasive. You might want to read their review at http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/35780-product.html. Forestfarm.com says it's "edible (& potentially invasive)" Their pictures are intriguing, though. Do you suppose you could keep it contained and moist by planting it in a large pot sunk in the ground and filled with good soil and perlite or vermiculite or some such?

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 10:01PM
terramadre

John,
The plants were passalongs from our local plantaholic ;-)
They are growing in heavy clay and in the shade. There are no wet or even constantly moist areas on the property. I only water when we have drought conditions.

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
Another update on madabouteu - by madabouteu
For those who might wonder - I am still doing OK. Legs...
madabouteu
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™