Perennials for a cemetary

neta1978May 23, 2007

Hi,

Does anyone know what perennials grow well in Goodwater, AL (near Birmingham)? I live in OH, but my parents are buried in AL and I would like to plant some flowers by their headstones this summer. I am looking for something with low maintenance since I am in OH, but will come back for few years without really being tended to. Any ideas....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

As you amy already know, Goodwater is about 60 miles out of Birmingham. It is south and east. This is not a good year to do this unless ther is someone who can water the plants all summer. We are in the midst of a severe drought. If you can plant shrubs, I would suggest gardenias. If you are looking for bushy perennials which will die back each winter, I suggest a winter hardy lantana or a turk's turban malvaviscus. Finally, if you are just looking for flowers, why not echenacia or rudbeckia.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 12:28AM
sugarhill(7)

If you want something that will come back for years and years and need little care, I recommend daylilies. I agree though that this is not the year to do it. We're having a tough time with drought all through the Southeast.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 9:35AM
kabby_z8

I'm thinking bulbs also. Asiatic lilies, red spider lilies for the fall and for the ultimate drought tolerant plant, crinum!

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 2:54AM
vicki7(z7 N.Ga.)

Daffodils might also be a consideration. You could get the very early blooming ones, some mid-season, and late bloomers. Some of the sedums are also very tough. I have some which I don't know the name of, and I don't think you could kill it if you wanted to.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 2:22PM
neta1978

Thanks guys for your help. I am going looking in a few weeks for some of your suggestions so we will see. Will definitely plant something when I come down since I'm too far away. Hopefully it lasts until I make it back down again. Once again....thanks

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 12:17PM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

if anyone thinks of something to plant IN the urn that will not need tending to, let me know - only thing i can think of at this point would be a cactus of some sort.....my mother LOVED to garden, and would much rather have something LIVING in the urns i had put on her headstone than the fake flowers i put up there each season. The church won't let me plant anything there....

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™