Roses for new split rail fence

beckyeaves(7)May 29, 2008

I finally talked my husband into building me a split rail fence...I have seen these roses (running it appears) on the sides of the road usually near where old home places would have been...usually pink (small clusters of small roses with lots of thorns). Would it be feasible to dig up some of these for my new fence? Does anyone have any idea what kind of roses these might be and if they are pretty hardy...which I would think they would be since they really aren't being maintained in the overgrown areas I've seen them in....Or does anyone have a better idea for my fence row?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

The roses you see are probably what the old folks call "Seven Sisters" roses. These are old polyantha roses which can have up to 7 blooms on a bloom scape. There are a number of different roses mistakenly called 7 sisters roses. Most of them only bloom in late spring or early summer. Do a Google search on 'Seven Sisters Rose' with quotes and read up on them. I have a running rose which my M-I-L called Seven Sisters but I believe it is Climbing Caldwell Pink. It blooms a medium-to-light pink with a lavender overcast and turns lighter pink as it ages. It runs up a trellis and for 2 or 3 weeks each year it is beautiful. The rest of the year it is a green shade cover over the yard swing.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
Sick of the Cold!!
Started all my zukes, cukes, and tomatos and this bi-polar...
jenandwya
Sponsored Products
New Antiqued 3x20 Heriz HandKnotted Wool Serapi Rose Red Floral Runner Rug H5417
BH Sun Inc
Kartell | Charles Ghost Stool
$200.00 | YLighting
DENY Designs Khristian A Howell Rendezvous 4 Outdoor Throw Pillow Multicolor - 1
$49.00 | Hayneedle
NuFACE Nourisher Stem Cell Infusion Booster Serum
$89.00 | FRONTGATE
Large Size Tiffany Style Rose Bud Table Lamp with Stained Glass Shade
ParrotUncle
Roses Deco Accent Chair
Overstock.com
Thankful Hearts Small Pony Figurine
$6.99 | zulily
Bradford Mail Post
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for: