Online Gardening Resources

heathcates(8A)May 10, 2010

I am tech savvy but it has almost been to my disadvantage when looking for online gardening websites/forums/etc. It seems there are so many and I need some help narrowing them down to the useful ones. If they have an AL/Southern bent all the better but any resource in general that you have found helpful would be great. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Some of the most useful information will be located at the .edu sites. Some are ever so much better than others, but still better than most .com sites.

Finding and using websites for specific information can be challenging. The success of the search sometimes depends upon how much you know in the first place! If you are very much a beginner, it makes it difficult to hone in on the precise information you are looking for. It gets easier as you gain knowledge.

Though not from Alabama, I've always thought that Clemson University's HGIC (Home and Garden Information Center) fact sheets are terrific. I recommend the site highly.

Alabama Cooperative Extension Service (ACES) also has a web site with links to many different fact sheets, as well. Look for informational websites from all of the southern research universities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 9:05AM
tsmith2579(7B)

Univ. of Georgia has a great deal of info, particularly with their greenhouse booklet. Try the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 11:40PM
tedevore(7b Al)

Walter Reeves (who writes for Atlanta newspaper, has radio show and has been Georgia cooperative extension agent, etc.) has a good web site and archived TV shows and articles about gardening in Georgia. I find his info. relevant to us in Alabama.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 5:58AM
catbird(z7 AL)

Well, I was going to tell you about a website that I enjoy a lot, but when I clicked on the "preview message" link I was informed that gardenweb has been spammed by postings promoting the site and it is now blocked. I can't mention it here, but if you google names of particular plants you are sure to come up with a link to a PlantFile at this site. There is lots of good information there and it's a shame that their copybook has been blotted by spamming.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 11:20PM
ala8south

floridata.com is my favorite
dell

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™