high maintenance

ala8southMay 26, 2010

Saw a thread on high maintenance plants on another thread and thought it would be an interesting discussion. What plants have you found to be so high maintenance that you ended up ripping them out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

I gave up orchids. I could never get them to bloom if they lived.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 10:56PM
ala8south

Yeah, they're annoying alright. Actually I've decided that they annoy me when they are blooming too. There's just something wrong with a plant that has blooms that are perfect for months. It just sits there, being perfect. Doesn't move in the breeze. Doesn't follow the light. Doesn't start looking droopy. Heck, bugs don't even like them. Kind of like being around a "perfect" person...irritating.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 9:09PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

That's so funny, ala8!

I don't plant marigolds anymore and haven't for years. Can't abide a plant that needs so much deadheading and is a spider mite magnet to boot!

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 10:56PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Caladiums.
Yeah, a love/hate relationship there. Too much trouble to take them out of the ground and where do you store them to avoid ROT? Too blooming hot in Mobile.

And TSmith, I just got my first/only orchid, and don't know what to do with it. It was sure pretty with that bloom stalk, and with those long white roots reaching down toward the pot. I think I'd rather give it to someone, and play with my staghorn ferns--now there is something I can deal with.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 11:07PM
daffodillady(7b/8a central AL)

For me it is brugmansia grown in pots. Constant watering, constant fertilizing, constant bug fighting. It may be different if they are in-ground, but in pots (my only option currently) they are more trouble than they are worth.

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 12:34PM
catbird(z7 AL)

I love hybrid tea roses -- in someone else's garden! No way I'm going to do all that spraying and deadheading. Same goes for dahlias and anything else that has to be dug up in the Fall and replanted in the Spring.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Did you know - GW now part of Houzz?
I guess word has gotten around by now, but I haven't...
outsideplaying_gw
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
I am pretty new to gardening.
This year I am trying to start flowers and tomatoes...
karensizzorhands
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™