?Grancy Greybeard Seeds?

tsmith2579(7B)May 8, 2005

I read the post about grancy greybeard from BDnBAMA. I am wondering if it produces seeds. With all of those blooms, surely it produces some kind of seed. Are they easy to germinate? When are the seeds ready to pick? Can I pick them and plant this season and have seedlings large enough to survive the winter? ... or should I wait until next spring to plant seeds. A home about 3/4 mile away has a GG in its yard and I was thining about asking them about seeds. Any advice? - Thanks, Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hardygt(zone 7a)

according to Richard Bir's text, "Growing and Propagating Showy Native Woody Plants," the seeds are within the awful smelling fall fruit and require a double dormancy. Grancy Greybeard's are also very slow growing. They are getting more popular. I would opt for hunting one down in a nursery.

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 10:49PM
jeff_al

hi terry,
i can't confirm the "awful smelling fruit" comment. mine makes quite a few seeds and i have never detected a smell, even after taking the seed from the pulp.
i have read that they are dioecious but there are some who seem to challenge that.
they are ready when they turn dark blue and begin to wrinkle. they do require a double-dormancy. plant them at that time and perhaps you will see some germination by the second spring.
i have a couple of small trees that grew from my tree's seed( i moved them into containers from beneath the tree). i wish i had known - i just drove through your area this weekend.
they are beautiful when they get big and have a wonderful fragrance. i posted a picture of my old specimen in the tree forum gallery. they develop a much better form and produce more flowers in sun but will grow in the understory.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 10:08AM
lucky_p

I keep seeing the dioeicious thing, too, but I have a single bush in my yard - no others within a couple of miles - and it has produced seeds the past couple of year.
I've not yet had any success germinating any - including a bag full of them that Jeff sent me from his plant several years back (or if they did, I lost/misplaced them).

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 12:47PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Thanks, Jeff, Hardygt and Lucky. You have been a lot of help to me. I'm going to stop this week and ask the "neighbors" if their tree makes seeds and if I can have some. Y'all have a been a big help.

Thanks

Terry

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 6:45PM
happyldy08

When you say "they require double dormancy", does this mean not to expect any sprouts until the second spring after they are planted? I thought all my seeds were gone, that the birds had eaten them but I look and found a handful under the tree. I put them all in a pot underneath the soil, not very deep and watered them. I have it in a sunny location. Have I done the right thing. Is not, please advise. I have two tree, both bloom but only one has seeds and it does not not look good at all.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™