Am I Too Late?

drippy(7bAL)May 26, 2013

I planted basil seeds about 2 weeks ago - they're not old, but nothing's come up. I am surprised, because basil usually grows easily for me. I have tried both container & direct sowing - nada. Also, I haven't started squashes or cucumbers yet (also from seed); did I miss the boat? Is it too hot now (7b, greater Huntsville area)?

My peppers, tomatoes & beans are in, and peas are just beginning to produce.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

No, squash and cukes love the heat, especially squash. Plant them. Better too late than too early.

I'm having trouble with basil this year, too. Mine looks poor and has already tried to bolt; a sure sign of stress. I'm not sure what the issue is since the weather has mostly settled down.

My peas are just about finished. I've pulled out most of the plans and the ones that are still left aren't producing anything nearly as tasty in the heat as they did in the cool season. But my peas were late getting started this year; just not enough sun when they were seedlings I guess.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 8:15AM
drippy(7bAL)

Thanks, Nicole - I am a proud seed grower, but I may just have to admit defeat and buy a couple of basil plants. :( I'll get the cukes & squash started this weekend.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 9:35AM
maxmom96

I've been told that even when planting basil plants, to wait until the ground is really warm. They're always the last thing I set out. With the chillier weather we've had this year, this may be why your seeds didn't sprout.

My basil plants went in only two weeks ago and seem to be doing fine so far.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™