Hydrangea-Harmony-Ayesha-Blushing Bride

tsmith2579(7B)May 30, 2009

Sylvia and I went to a local garden center today and came across three hydrangeas with which we fell in love. I was already familiar with Blushing Bride and Harmony but we saw Ayesha and it was so different. Ayesha's blooms remind me of lilacs. I Googles Ayesha and it was introduced back in the late 1940s. Has anyone grown these varieties locally? What are your results with these three? Thanks

Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tedevore(7b Al)

Terry,

i don't have Harmony or Blushing bride, but i think I have a nice big hydrangea that is Ayesha. I'm trying to include the picture. I lost the tag to the plant but it sure looks the pictures I googled for Ayesha. I can take a cutting and give you one at fall swap if you like.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 1:26PM
tweetypye(z8/sc AL)

Oh my but that's pretty...could you take more than one cutting and trade me one at the fall swap also? :)
Jan

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 4:11PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Todd, the first pic didn't open but the second did open and that is Ayesha. If you would layer a cutting for me I would be so thankful. Thanks for the kind offer.

THANKS

Terry

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 5:53PM
tedevore(7b Al)

Sure, i'll try and root some cuttings for the fall swap. I saw a big group of these when I went for a walk at aldridge gardens today. They look like they do well there. Mine came from a cutting from neighbor who got the plant Wal-Mart.

My favorite hydrangea I have blooming right now is "Fuji Waterfall." Its also unusual and very pretty. I got it Aldridge gardens sale a few years ago.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 6:04PM
idig(7b)

That is gorgeous, you might oughta root a few!!

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 7:46PM
airydana(7b AL)

Hey Todd - I could use some info on how to do cuttings and rootings. Would you mind telling us your method and progress on this hydrangea cutting, do you root it in water, soil, etc. I think I'll also start a new topic. I'd like to try some rootings for the fall swap as well. Thanks! your hydrangea is beautiful!

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 2:34AM
tsmith2579(7B)

Airydana, I know you asked Todd but I'm sending my 2 cents of advice. Beth Carroll from the Alabama Forum and I went to a lecture at Aldridge Gardens last June to learn how to root hydrangeas. We were shown how to use soil less mix as the medium. I tried about 10 cuttings and only one survived. I've had much better luck by taking a low limb, bending it down to the ground, putting a shovel of dirt over it and a brick on top to hold it in place. You can scrape off some of the bark on the limb and dust it with Rootone if you wish. These will root in just a few weeks if you water them and feed them a root stimulator. Even oak leaf hydrangeas root quickly.

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Another update on madabouteu - by madabouteu
For those who might wonder - I am still doing OK. Legs...
madabouteu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™