Growing tips for a south alabama rookie...

honeynjam(8b)May 8, 2014

Hey everyone!

I was really excited to find the alabama gardening forum! I recently moved back home after a brief stint in kentucky (where literally all of my plants died). I previously had a wonderfully green thumb in tuscaloosa.

Things that excited me:

1. spring plant swap/trade
2. someone was growing lilacs? I was told by a nursery owner that they wouldn't survive our heat/lack of freeze.

Does anyone have tips on growing in the daphne/mobile area 8b. I'm coming from a 7. I'm not sure how different my growing experience will be here.

Excited to be here, and thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantman71(7b/8a)

Welcome back, You are welcome to come to our Swap Sat. at Oak Mt State Park. I think there is a swap closer to you. I can't help you on growing in your area, but some of the other live near you.
I have 6 lilacs in the ground now, they made it all this crazy winter and look good. There is only a few lilacs that will make it here. The ones I have are Wonderblue., but there are others. Just be sure to read the tags or talk to gardeners.

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 12:18AM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

Welcome from Mobile County.

Looks like this year will be another wet one so I'd say any sort of swamp & wetlands plants, LOL!

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 6:37AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hi to you from Opp! If you don't mind saying, curious where you are? Somewhere south of Tuscaloosa?

One of these years, those of us in LA need to have a swap, I just can't go that far for one even though it sounds so amazing and awesome and I want to meet everyone so much! I was all ready to get one going this spring, then we decided we were moving.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Did you know - GW now part of Houzz?
I guess word has gotten around by now, but I haven't...
outsideplaying_gw
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™