Not many Persimmons this season

barberberryfarm(8A)June 20, 2012

I have about 40 asian persimmon trees, to include Fuyu, Jiro and Mikawa Jiro. They range from 3-7 years old and last year they all produced fruit. However, this year only 3 out of the 40 have fruit and even on those trees there are only a few. There are plenty of leaves, though. I'm guessing it's because of the warm winter we just had. I didn't change my fertilization practice nor the amount of water they get as my entire farm has irrigation. I know most folks don't have 40 persimmon trees growing in their backyard, but is anyone else encountering the same issue? I'm sure next year they will be loaded, as in the previous years. This just seems a little weird.

Ken Barber

Millbrook AL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

I can't help much, since this is the first year my tree will be bearing fruit, but I think I have a healthy crop for the size/age of the tree.

Maybe you didn't get enough hours this winter?

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 8:47AM
barberberryfarm(8A)

Thanks for your feedback. That's what I was figuring. According to ACES, we got 654 chill hours (546 modified hours) in our area near Prattville where we normally get at least 800-850 hours. The weird thing is when I look up chill hour requirements for asian persimmons, they usually range between 150-200 hours. That's why I was checking to see if anyone else in Alabama was experiencing this issue. I talked to an ACES agent and he said a farmer in Coosa county was also experiencing a similar issue.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 9:36AM
alabamanicole(7b)

That would seem like enough chilling hours with ample room to spare for microclimate or plant variations.

Another thought is that perhaps your pollinators were busy elsewhere when the trees bloomed -- assuming they bloomed. I have noticed that the insects' schedules are different this year.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 12:49PM
barberberryfarm(8A)

That's just it, I never saw any blooms either. But if there were, we have 11 stacks of honey bees no more than 500 ft away, so you would think a lack of pollinators wouldn't be the issue. Also, I've heard persimmon trees drop fruit periodically if they overcrop, but there is no evidence of that either. Weird ... But, there is always next year ... :o)!

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Another update on madabouteu - by madabouteu
For those who might wonder - I am still doing OK. Legs...
madabouteu
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
trade list
where are profiles and trade lists ? wayne
mws366
Sponsored Products
Los Angeles Angels Salt & Pepper Shakers
$12.99 | zulily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Soho Grey 3 ft. 6 in. x 5 ft. 6
Home Depot
Home and More Christmas Menagerie Welcome Mat - 12100
$22.98 | Hayneedle
American Made Rayne Walnut Tall Mirror