Ornamental peach 'Bonfire'

john_trussville(z7b AL)June 2, 2006

Anyone around here try one of these? Just saw it yesterday at the Trussville Lowes for $24.95...has beautiful burgandy leaves. I need more color in my tropical garden & thought it might be a possibility.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Lovely plant....are you willing to tangle with assorted pest problems?

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 11:24PM
applepatch(z7 alabama)

John dont waste your money.They are just too hard to grow.Like Rhizo said they are too picky.My hubby and I saw them and decided to buy a couple and they made it through the winter outside and they bloomed and actually had peaches.But they did not make it to the fall.We did everything but they passed on anyway.Daughter bought one last year and it also died.We said never again.You may have better luck than we did.Paulette

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 12:57AM
john_trussville(z7b AL)

thanks all.....yeh after doing a little more online research and hearing your comments, I've decided against it. For its small size it definitely sounds like more trouble than its worth.

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 9:31AM
amyta(z8 mid GA)

I don't think this is what I have but it's some kind of peach that I bought at Lowe's for $19.99 last year. It was label "Patio Peach", whatever that means. I planted it in a hugh pot on my deck. It had hard little peaches and burgandy leaves. The peaches never matured and were eaten by creatures. This spring there was the most gorgeous display of bright pink blooms along every limb for maybe 3 weeks. This made it all worthwhile and everyone was astounded at its beauty. Can't wait to see what these peaches do. I have an idea it's strictly an ornamental plant. I really like the burgandy leaves contrasted against the green of the trees further back in the yard. Hope this info helps.

Bookmark   June 10, 2006 at 4:45PM
lucky_p

Granted, I'm 400 miles or so north of my boyhood home in Lee Co., now, but the same disease/pest pressures on peaches exist here as they do in Sweet Home Alabama.
I've seen Bonfire - or some other unnamed red/purple-leafed peaches growing here and there - and I'm not certain but what they just grow them from seed, as I see red leafed suckers popping up out of the ground for yards around these trees.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™