Magnolia Trees

shavoeJune 7, 2006

Hi Rhizo,

It's Sharon with the re-located magnolia trees. We successfully moved the trees from Atlanta to Birmingham. We followed your directions and put them in huge pots, kept them in the shade for awhile watered then every other day and they SURVIVED. They lost a few leaves and some of the bottom branches have died, but they are growing new leaves and blooming like mad. Thank you for all your help!!

Now for the final leg of this journey. Our house will be complete at the end of the month. Should we leave them in the pots until fall or chance planting them the first of July. After all of this, I would hate to lose them now. What do you suggest?

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I would let them be in the containers, Sharon. They haven't even BEGUN to regrow a substantial portion of the root system they left in the soil, and living for awhile in containers will help them to do so. Within the confines of their new 'homes', I believe that that they are likely to suffer far less the difficulties of warm weather, growing season transplantation. As your temperatures begin to cool and day lengths shorten (October or so), you can 'harden' your plant to the sunlight (if they are going to be growing in full sun). By the time you are ready to plant in November or December, they should be sitting (in containers) in the general vicinity of their proposed sites. Remember, the less stress you put your transplanted trees through, the more likely it is that they will sail through all of this in good condition.

Keep an eye out for insect problems at this time. While trees are in the process of making new roots, they do not have the energy resources to allocate to pest defense. I've seen powder post beetles take out newly transplanted magnolias, for example.

Keep them sheltered from the sun....your worries aren't over yet, you know. But I would certainly feel encouraged at this point. Don't blame you for doing so! Let us know that they are still doing fine in July!

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™