Monkey Tree?

tweetypye(z8/sc AL)June 15, 2005

OK, folks, has anyone out there ever heard of a Monkey Tree? This tree is very tall with no limbs until the very top. It has huge, lobed leaves, and the tree trunk is very straight and the same size from top to bottom. It has a very smooth, gray bark. My daughter and I call them "Elephant leg trees"! There are several of these trees in the garden surrounding a house my daughter recently purchased. Someone told us they were Monkey trees, but I can't find anything like it on the net. Any ideas? I will post a photo when I can remember to make one. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terramadre

Monkeypuzzle tree, Araucaria araucana, on HortiPlex.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 2:47PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Well, the description sure doesn't fit the Monkey Puzzle tree, which has anything but huge lobed leaves and very smooth bark. I'm also going to take a wild guess: what about a banana tree? Or one of the palms?

If not, can you attach an image or try to describe the leaves more fully? We all love to be detectives.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 4:51PM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

I too could not think of anything but a monkey puzzle tree - and didn't think the description matched either. However, I would LOVE to have a monkey puzzle tree - my aunt has one in her yard in GA - anyone know of a place i can buy one?

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 9:20PM
tony_pman(7b/8a Al.)

How about trying the Chinese Parasol Tree. Tony

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 10:04PM
tweetypye(z8/sc AL)

Wow, I knew someone out there would know what we have! Thanks Tony, you hit it right on the head with the Chinese Parasol Tree. I researched and found great photos online of this tree. It is a pretty unusual looking tree, but it has one big drawback that I can see. SEEDLINGS, everywhere, so I don't believe I'll be transplanting any of them to my garden! Thanks to you all for the follow ups.

Tweety~Pye

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 10:25PM
Dave_from_the_Hills(z7B ALABAMA)

Rosey, your aunt in Georgia may have a China Fir (Cunninghamia lanceolata), which is often called Monkey Puzzle in the South. The true Monkey Puzzle trees don't thrive in our climate, although I know some people do try to grow them!

If you can find one, there is a blue form of the China Fir (Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca') which is really nice... a great substitute for Colorado Blue Spruce in our part of the country.

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 8:45AM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Thanks Dave - I think you must be right - i did a search with that term and it does look like the same tree. Very Pretty - i might have to look into it one of these days! It will have to wait a little while though - my DH says i can't handle what i have & to not buy anymore - and he is actually right....if only i could win the lottery and retire....

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 9:47PM
summerbreak2010

ok i saw a small tree and i cant remember exactly but it had a small trunk with big leaves it was inside plant with the bamboo would anyone on her know what it was called? i was at lowes in the area with bamboo any ideas? i think it sold for $11.97? can remember numbers not words.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 1:15AM
More Discussions
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™