Bermuda grass invading my Zoysia

mosscove(7)June 22, 2010

Is there any way I can eliminate the bermuda grass that is trying to take over my Zoysia? Aside from digging up the whole yard?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhighlandhome

I wish I had an answer. Bermuda is invading the expensive St. Augustine lawn I installed, as well as my flower beds.

I choose not to use herbicides since I have several cats that munch on anything that looks like a grass blade. I've dealt with one cat who ingested poison (whether it was a weed or weed killer), and it's too, too, much of an expence. When the manufacturer of the herbicide I was using couldn't guarantee it's safety, I deemed it way too much of a potential expense to continue it's use.

I just waste a lot of time pulling weeds (primarily Bermuda grass).

Nelson

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 11:27PM
alabamanicole(7b)

I find this interesting. Most of my lawn is assorted weeds and grasses including bermuda, centipede, and other -- but the section on the other side of the driveway (concrete) next to the neighbor is solid St. Augustine which has spread. The bermuda and even the creeping charlie can't compete -- the only thing that can is patches of mondo grass I see in my neighbor's lawn.

I wonder if it is site specific or that the St. Augustine is old and very well established? I was thinking of taking plugs this fall and starting to seed the other side, but if it isn't going to take over it might not be worth the effort.

(But I am kinda partial to creeping charlie... if it would just finish conquering my lawn I wouldn't ever have to mow again.)

Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 10:32AM
catbird(z7 AL)

Nicole: It would be hard to establish the St. A in the other side of your driveway unless you can kill off everything (including the creeping charlie) first, then mulch between the plugs and spread preemerge herbicide to keep the weeds from getting a new foothold. If you just love weeding, you could skip the herbicide, but my choice would be to keep applying it every spring and fall till the grass fills in.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 9:20AM
alabamanicole(7b)

My land slopes into a stream, so random spraying of chemicals is a no-go.

So I guess I'll keep rooting for the creeping charlie's attempt at yard domination. :)

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Spring swap, from Todd
I can't figure out how to access my trade list (don't...
tedevore
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
I am pretty new to gardening.
This year I am trying to start flowers and tomatoes...
karensizzorhands
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
Sponsored Products
Brushed White Bermuda Hall Tree Stand
$384.99 | zulily
Fasade Bermuda Bronze 2x4-foot Ceiling Panels (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
Bermuda Night Stand Espresso Finish
Overstock.com
Bermuda 14 1/4" Wide Aged Pewter Outdoor Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Tucker's Point Bachelor's Chest
FRONTGATE
Brushed White Bermuda Corner TV Stand
$374.99 | zulily
Spar Point Chairside Table
$849.00 | FRONTGATE
Natural Burlap Small Oval Lamp Shade 6/8x11/14x11 (Spider)
$24.99 | Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™